Thursday, October 13, 2011

From Leland to Leeds; UM Student Studies Abroad


If you saw Molly Chisholm walking down the streets of downtown Leeds, chances are you wouldn’t look twice. Artsy style and a huge smile, she blends in with the rest of the crowd. But as soon as she opens her mouth to say “Hi”—which she always does—it is immediately obvious that she is different.

Born and raised in Leland, Miss., her Southern hospitality and slight drawl always stand out, whether on campus in Oxford or halfway around the world.

“It’s definitely an adjustment. You feel like you have a neon sign above you screaming ‘I DON’T BELONG HERE.’” she says of the experience, “But it has been the best adjustment of my life.”

Chisholm, 21, is a junior English major at Ole Miss, currently pursuing her degree at the University of Leeds. It was her love of travel as well as classic literature that led her across the pond.

“England is a beautiful place. And when you think of all of the literary greats who got their starts in England, it’s only logical to come here. Where else in the world can you sit in the pub where a best selling author penned their first masterpiece?”

It isn’t all work for this budding bard. Along with attending classes at the university, Chisholm spends much of her time sightseeing and soaking in the culture.

“I love taking off down the street with nothing but a map and a camera. There is so much to see, so much to do. So much to learn!”

When asked how Study Abroad has changed her, Chisholm’s eyes lit up, “Yes, I’m learning new things. Yes, I’m working toward getting my degree. But it is so much more than that! I am learning to be self-reliant. I am learning to adapt to new environments and situations. I am learning more about myself and what I want out of life.”


Study Abroad is proving to be an invaluable learning experience for Chisholm. But there is one thing she says she hasn’t quite mastered.


“Driving on the left side of the road.”

No comments:

Post a Comment