Thursday, October 13, 2011

Why We love our Teacher of the Year

If you ask any of the students on Ole Miss' campus if they know Dr. Ethel Young- Minor, most would say yes. She is just one of those professors that you cannot forget; after all, she is currently Teacher of the Year at Ole Miss.
Earlier this year, the Memphis, TN native and professor of African-American Literature and English made everyone proud when she won the Elsie M. Hood Outstanding Teacher award at the University of Mississippi.
" I was very excited. This award has been given out for 45 years and only the best of the best get it. It's the kind of thing that you never think you'll get. I was very surprised, and being that I am the first African- American to win was even more thrilling", Minor replied when asked how she felt about winning.
But what makes Dr. Minor so unforgettable and worthy of this prestigious award? Positivity and enthusiasm are the answers.
"Dr. Minor is the kind of professor that makes you feel important. She comes in with a smile at eight o clock in the morning and rejuvenates everyone. She lets you know that she cares about you learning and she's optimistic," says one of the professor's students of African American Literature.
"I try to deliver positive info to my students", says the wife and mother of two, "and I make every student matter. I challenge them and I treat them all with dignity while teaching and having fun at the same time! I want them all to be successful" Minor says.
"When I heard that she won teacher of the year, I wasn't a bit surprised. I'm not one of her students, but just from being around her lively presence in the LRC [Minor is also Faculty fellow of the LRC] , I can only imagine what her classroom feels like" says sophomore LRC resident Ally Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment