Monday, September 19, 2011

David Collier

Judy Trezvant of Corinth spent her whole life helping others as a nurse, but today, she is helping the people of Johnson County in a whole new way.

Trezvant, who stopped practicing nursing after a car accident in 2008, raised two daughters on her own before opening the Raising Hope Food Pantry located in Harmontown. She credits her struggles as the reason she decided to open the food bank.

"I raised two daughters on my own," the 53-year-old Trezvant said. "It was very hard. I made a promise to God that if he would help me get through [the struggles], I would do something for him."

The Raise Hope Food Pantry helps about 70 families per week that are in need of some assistance. Harmontown native Helen Gibbs, 62, is one of those customers who is very appreciative of the work Trezvant puts into the food bank.

"I think she's great, fantastic," Gibbs said of Trezvant. "She's always trying to help other people. She will do whatever she can for you anytime, anyplace."

Trezvant hopes to keep the food bank going as long as God allows her to do so, but first, she will need to find a new home for the pantry. The current location is owned by Main Street Organization, who has been allowing Trezvant to use its present building rent free, but with recent news of Main Street's expansion, Trezvant is left looking for a new location.

"We won't close up," Trezvant said of the move. "God has shown me there will be a way. If nothing else, I have an extra bedroom (in my house). We'll store the stuff in there."

For the people of Johnson County, they better hope there is indeed a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment