Friday, September 23, 2011

Interview with Molly Chisholm


Molly Chisholm is an Ole Miss junior currently participating in Study Abroad at the University of Leeds. The theme of this interview is how the Study Abroad program affects the lives of students both academically and culturally. The interview took place via iChat video chat on September 22. It was done this way because she is currently halfway around the globe. Her best quote was "It's definitely an adjustment. You feel like you have a neon sign above you screaming 'I DON'T BELONG HERE.' But it has been the best adjustment of my life." This was the best response because it supports the theme of the interview. The entire interview with Molly is below:


Q: What made you decide to participate in a Study Abroad program?

A: I've always loved to travel, and Study Abroad allowed me to see new places as well as earn class credit. Win-win!

Q: Why Leeds?

A: Short answer? Because I love Harry Potter! [laughs] I'm an English major and I love books, so I am taking a literature class and a fiction writing class. England is a beautiful place. And when you think of all of the literary greats who got their starts in England...Shakespeare, Poe, Rowling, Tolkein...it's only logical to come here.

Q: Culturally, you're on a different planet from Oxford, MS. What was it like adjusting to driving on the left side of the road?

A: [laughs] Driving is one thing I've yet to conquer, actually, but the atmosphere is completely different. It's definitely an adjustment. When you first get here, you feel like you have a neon sign above you screaming "I DON'T BELONG HERE." But it's been the best adjustment of my life. Yes, I'm learning new things. Yes, I'm working toward getting my degree, but it is so much more than that. I am learning to be self-reliant. I am learning to adapt to new environments and situations. I am learning more about myself and what I want out of life.

Q: How has study abroad changed your perspective of the South? Is it still home sweet home or are you a big city girl for good?

A: Let’s get one thing straight, I always have been and always will be a girl from the South. It’s killing me that I’m missing Ole Miss football season…though from what I hear it hasn’t exactly been impressive…but I grew up in the Grove! Oxford is my home. And no matter how far Study Abroad takes me, it always will be.

Q: What happens next?

A: Well I got here in August, and I move back to home sweet Oxford over Christmas break. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am about that. But I will definitely look into studying abroad again if my major allows. Maybe Australia next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment