Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ole Miss JOUR 102: Interview with Reed Kerwin



Reed Kerwin, my roommate and one of my best friends from home, is a new transfer student to Ole Miss. The main theme of this interview is to see how it feels to be a new student here in Oxford. The interview took place at our house September 21st, which is where he felt most comfortable. My favorite quote from Reed came when I asked him why he transferred to Ole Miss. With a smile on his face, he said "I came with a few friends last year to visit our friend Brooks for his fraternity's huge spring party, and from the moment I set foot on the campus, I knew this was where I needed and wanted to be. The people here are unlike any group I've met, so outgoing, friendly, and fun to be around." I enjoyed his response because I felt a connection immediately when he said it, being a fellow transfer student with Reed and sharing the same experience that convinced me to transfer to Ole Miss.

Q: Coming from a small, in-state school in South Carolina, how different is it to now attend a major, public university out-of-state in Mississippi?

A: "It's definitely much different going from a small, private Baptist college to a large out-of-state university such as Ole Miss. It's strange to go to school ten hours away out of South Carolina, not knowing really anyone and experiencing a whole new network of people, but I love it."

Q: Being ten hours away from home and everyone you know can be tough, especially a college student. Have you felt home sick at all?

A: "I was at first, but after the first week I knew that I would love it here and I haven't really looked back since. Everyone here has been so welcoming and outgoing, I feel like I'm home and I never had this feeling when I was at Anderson University. It's exciting to find a place like this, I never thought I would find myself in this position but I'm so grateful that I am."

Q: Although you've only been here a month, if you could change anything on Ole Miss' campus, what would it be?

A: "Honestly there's not much to complain about, if I could change one thing it would be to reduce the on-campus traffic during school hours. It's always too hectic with all the people and can be a bit overwhelming."

Q: How difficult are the academics here at Ole Miss compared to Anderson University?

A: "I'd say it's about the same. I've had more work here than I anticipated, but it has been a fair amount and I've been able to handle the workload pretty well."

Q: You have been able to experience college football numerous times between Clemson and South Carolina. How does Ole Miss and its traditions compare?

A: It's unlike anything I thought it would be. The Grove is quite the experience and one Saturday here outdoes all the other times I've been to college football games. The Rebel Walk of Champions is an experience in itself as well, just being able to get that close to the coaches and players gets me even more excited every Saturday."


No comments:

Post a Comment