Thursday, September 22, 2011

Interview with Casey Rains

Casey Rains is a Senior at the University of Mississippi majoring in Broadcast Journalism. The theme of the interview was to get insight on her transition from being a cheerleader to becoming a leader in the Air Force ROTC.
The interview took place on September 19 at Casey's home in Oxford, Mississippi. The interview was done there because that is where Casey felt most comfortable. Casey's best quote was, "Everyone said I was making a huge mistake, they said I wouldn't be able to handle it, they thought I was joking. But it turned out I actually enjoyed it!" This was the best quote because it describes the reactions to Casey's transition into the Air Force ROTC. The entire interview with Casey Rains is below:


Q: How did you decide to make the change from being a 9 year cheerleader to joining the Air Force ROTC?
A: I was a serious competetive cheerleader in high school and I came to Ole Miss to be a cheerleader. I tried out freshmen year and I didn't make the squad. I felt like it was the end of the world. I almost didn't attend school here because of it. My parents told me to stick it out a year and see how I liked Ole Miss and then I could try out again for the next year. I decided to stay and then I stumbled across ROTC. I had always enjoyed working out and I really wanted something to keep me busy. I decided to really look into it and found out that it was very beneficial with my education.

Q: With your extensive cheerleading background how did people react when you told them you were joining the Air Force ROTC?
A: My mom almost died! She didn't expect it at all she didn't even have words at first. Everyone said i was making a huge mistake-they said I wouldn't be able to handle; it they thought I was joking. But it turned out I actually enjoyed it! It is harder for the guys to take me serious if they know that i was a cheerleader, but I work hard everyday to prove I'm serious and dedicated to this.
Q: How has being in the Air Force ROTC changed you as a person?
A: Well for starters in highschool I loved cheerleading and football games and I thought I wanted to do this my whole life. Now I am completely different. I went to basic training this summer and I wasn't allowed to smile. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. It was HARD. In cheerleading I always smiled it was fun it was about having fun. I'm definitely a more focused person now and I have a more serious outlook on life. I also have a much higher respect for the Military.
Q: What position do you hold in the Air Force ROTC and what are your future plans reguarding the organization?
A: I'm the top female in the chain of command in the detachment so I'm like an executive officer and I set up fundraising events and I'm also a flight commander so I work with the younger members and teach them how to march. I am actually commissioning next year as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
Q: Do you enjoy being in the Air Force ROTC and do you think that other women your age would enjoy it?
A: Yeah i like it. It is hard sometimes but its really something to be proud your a part of. I'm really looking forward to seeing where it takes me. I don't know if most women my age would like it or not. I have 3 roommates who I can promise you would never ever do it! They always ask me why and how I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment