Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kapule Gray

The interview is with Kapule Gray who is a senior Biology/ Pre-med student. She has been very involved on campus, for example, she has been a residential assistant ( R.A.), Orientation Leader, a Member of Alpha Omicron Pi, and student programing board.
The theme of the story is Kapule's experience of being the first African American girl to pledge a traditional Caucasian Sorority.
The setting of the interview was the J.D. Williams library. This was where she wanted to meet and it a great location since we both felt comfortable.

What made you decide to go through formal recruitment?

"I thought about it my freshman year and after meeting so many great girls and people who were encouraging to go through formal recruitment I knew it was now or never. "She was dancing in the skit for one of the orientation sessions and two Alums of a sorority who worked with her and asked her if she was interested and she agreed since she trusted them . They told her she didn't have to worry about anything and they helped her get all of her recommendations done and they helped her with the process. "I know that they were put into my life for a reason and it was such and easy decision after having so much support."


How was your experience during recruitment?

" I felt like I had a good rush everyone was nice and I liked a lot of the girls and on the last round I was unsure since see myself at all three of the houses that I "prefed". So I called my Mom and she said, " Well, just think about those awesome ladies who helped you get into this." I knew then what my first choice was on my preference card. "

What did your parents think about it?

Kapule's parents are both African American and her Dad really wanted her to join one of the NPHC sororites really Delta and her mom was afraid she'd get hurt in the process. "It was hard since my Mom is my best friend and I always have her support in everything I do. This was the first decision that she said no and I went through with it."

Do you see yourself as Trailblazer and opening doors for people?

"I sometimes do and I am so proud of where Ole Miss has come, but I would encourage people to not do it for the wrong reasons. " She was accused of doing it for the wrong reasons like being on the cover of the newspaper, but she didn't even know about that until she was eating lunch at the house and someone showed her. She had people judging her that didn't know her and assuming things. " I had hate from both sides Pan-Hellenic and NPHC, but I know I talk to them and we are close and we understand each other and think it is awesome. When my parents say me opening doors for people, that is when they are excited about my choice. "

No comments:

Post a Comment