Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lateefah Jones

Judy Trezvant, a trained registered nurse, has now become the hero of Johnson County. However, her good deeds in which make her a hero are not based on nursing, but rather a food bank.
Trezvant, a 53- year-old divorced mother of two and a resident of Corinth, runs a food bank named Raising Hope Food Pantry in nearby Johnson County,which is comprised of mostly low income familes. Foods like bread, milk and meat are avalible at this pantry. The unemployment rate in Johnson County is 10.5 percent, which means that Trezvant's food pantry is a tremendous blessing to the people of this county. Retired clerk Helen Gibbs,62, of Harmontown says of Trezvant and the bank: " I come here to get groceries and I think its fantastic. I wouldn't have as much if it were not for her."
But why would a middle aged woman care so much about her community? Her answer is " I'm just doing what God has instructed us all to do. " " I raised my daughters by myself and it was hard" she says, which is the reason why she aspires to help other people who may be going through a tough time as well. Judy first started the food bank when her daughters were grown, but starting wasn't easy. "I took a part time job and backed it", she says. The community helped out as well with bake sales and concerts. Now the food bank is up and running well, and serves about 70 area families per week.
Raising Hope will eventually have to move its location which is currently 213 Maple Street in Harmontown, on the 15th of this month due to a need of expanding Main Street. However, Trezvant remains optimistic. " We won't close up. Many times I have overcome things."
When asked how long she plans to keep the food bank and assist her community, Trezvant replied with a smile, "until God takes me home. "

No comments:

Post a Comment