Thursday, September 22, 2011

Interview with Daniel Peña


Daniel Pena, my new resident hall director, is the most recent addition to the Luckyday Residential College. The theme of this story is Daniel bringing Latin fun and diversity to Ole Miss, with its first Salsa group named La Rebelion.This group offers free Salsa lessons every Wednesday in the LRC courtyard. This interview was conducted on September 21, 2011 in Mr. Pena's office, where he was the most comfortable.
Q: How long have you been doing Salsa?
A:Well, I've been dancing every since I was young, like when my parents would make me dance with my grandmother, but I've been instructing Salsa for 4 years. I started when I was in undergraduate school at Florida State University where I was the head instructor of a Salsa group called Azuca.
Q: How did Salsa become a big part of your life?
A: Well, it's a part of my background. I'm Cuban-Puerto Rican and Salsa is one of the main things we do.Salsa is a way that I stay in touch with my culture.
Q: When you instruct a class, do you have the material prepared or do you teach based off the skill level of the crowd?
A: Yes, I have my material prepared. I teach the first 30 minuets of basic steps and a warm up. Then, I have everyone to do partner work so they can advance. We work on exibe (turns) and pa'abjo (clockwise salsa-ing). Then after my basic class, I teach an intermediate class. I'm all about progression.
Q: How does La Rebellion bring diversity to Ole Miss?
A: Well, that's one of the main reasons I came to Ole Miss. I knew I could bring something, as far as diversity is concerned. But I created the group because I love and enjoy Salsa and I just wanted to share it with other people and hopefully they can enjoy it as well. It's fun, and when you dance with your partner it's not about hooking up or anything. La Rebellion is about meeting new people and making new friendships and getting out of your comfort zone.
Q: To those who may be intimidated to come to your lessons, what advice do you have for them?
A: You have nothing to worry about![laughs] It's what I expect..... You're not the only one who can't dance. As a matter of fact, most of the people I teach cannot dance at first, but they work on their own pace, and some of them have actually went to compete in national Salsa conventions.
Q: Any last words?
A: I encourage everyone to come out every Wednesday at 7 because it's free, fun, and it's Salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment