Friday, September 23, 2011

Interview with Tonya Herron.


Tonya Herron, a student at the University of Mississippi gives hope and inspiration to all she comes into contact with. The interview took place in the Ole Miss Student Union. Growing up with congenital glaucoma, Tonya has been through many surgeries on her eyes. Herron does not let this get her down and still aspires and has dreams despite her disability. Herron is a Political Science major and also enjoys singing. Her best quote was, “Its funny the way life works. Even though I have a disability God gave me a normal life, friends and a voice I can use to praise his name and also inspire others.” The entire interview is below.

Q: How many operations have you had on your eyes?

A: I have had close to 50 since I was born. I have not always been blind. One of these operations caused me to lose my vision.

Q: What are some of the challenges of having a disability?

A: I need help with almost everything. Even the small things you wouldn’t even think about. I can’t even go to class with out someone walking me. My friends take me to dinner and to the grocery store. Friends in my classes take notes for me. Everyone on this campus has been so helpful to me. The University has been very helpful and understanding of my disability and everyone does anything they can to help me.

Q: What are some of your dreams and aspirations?

A: Well, I am a political science major and it has always been my dream, even before I lost my vision, to go to law school and become a Supreme Court justice. Now that I am blind, my biggest dream is to become the first blind Supreme Court justice.

Q: I know you competed and won Ole Miss Idol in 2011. Tell me about your singing.

A: Singing is one of my passions and I think that God gave me my voice to make up for my vision. Winning Ole Miss Idol was one of my proudest moments. I have also gotten the chance to sing at many other events on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment