Friday, September 23, 2011

Picture by Angela
Interview from Different Perspective

Being homosexual in today’s society is challenging. Harsh judgment and cruel words can force some homosexuals into hiding or cause them to be rebellious. To get a better understanding of homosexuality, I chose to interview someone who has a direct relationship with homosexuals and their world. A close friend of mine, who faces the daily struggle, agreed to reveal his true feelings, challenges and opinions to readers. Even though he is opening up, he wants to remain anonymous. He feels that it is easier to keep a low profile, so out of respect for him and our friendship I will honor his request.


Q: When did you first know that you were gay?
A: Maybe like the 7th grade when I was playing varsity ball for 8th graders. I was in the locker room and this boy said something to the extent of, “Do you want to go somewhere after school?” I was like yea, cool. We met up later for the rest of the day. We just chilled at the school gym on the bleachers and talked. I had felt things earlier before we had hung out but at this point it really just hit me. I kind of just accepted it.

Q: How is it being gay or homosexual?
A: It’s hard to explain. It’s so much. It’s so big, but it’s not that bad to me. I do try to avoid the stereotypical, the flamboyant. I like what I like, but I am who I am. I’m a boy, and I’m glad to be a boy. I just so happen to up one day and like boys. That doesn’t mean I’m going to act like a girl or dress like a girl. That’s crazy….but I have always felt that gay people live in a separate world. That’s why I will probably never get married. Sometimes I feel like I just have to fit in. I actually feel like I live in one world, then I go to work. I wake up in the morning and put on my outfit to go to work. I put on my personality coat.

Q: Do you want to take off this coat?
A: Not really. It doesn’t really bother me because I know that I can’t make every single person out there happy. Every single person will not like me, and I can’t make them. This is just one of those things where most of the people don’t accept being gay. So if you are (gay) don’t be mad at everyone else and try to go against the grain and be a drag queen and rebellious. That’s not going to work. Putting on the coat just makes things easier. When I go out, it’s on. When I go home, it just falls off.



Q: If being homosexual was accepted more, would you take this coat off?
A: If this world was a Utopia….which it ain’t. I’m fine with putting on the coat. I know that one day, and I dread this day; I hope it never comes. I’m going to want to take it off. I’m going to want to be myself all the time. I know it’s going to eventually come off but for right now, its fine. I got to do what it takes to make it.



Q: How do you think people, besides the ones you are close to, would react if you took of the coat and acted like yourself?
A: Still people that I’m close to, I know they aren’t who they say they are. The might say they won’t look at me differently, but they will. People were raised to think gay is wrong. They true feelings will show. They will see me differently; everybody will look at me differently. I would get no respect or just less respect. I will get into more stuff because it will be harder to make it. It would be just crazy.



Q: Have you ever wanted to change your sexuality?
A: Now… no, because I feel like I would be fake. I don’t have any regrets for it. Probably when I was younger, I did because I knew it wasn’t right. I was raised by my grandma, and we went to church every Sunday; so I was sure it was not right. Homosexuality was present, so I knew it couldn’t be all that crazy.



Q: Do you feel you will be accepted by God?
A: I feel like I will be. I pray every day. God has known me and I have known him all my life. I was born into this [homosexuality], so if he is the God he says he is and I know he is; I know he is not going to say no because I can’t change this.


Q: When you become older how will you deal with your sexuality?
A: When I get older and the question comes, I will tell people yes. I’m older; I can support myself. I’m going to apologize if it hurts anyone’s feelings, but it is what it is and I can’t change it. That’s what I need people to understand. If it’s asked to me when I am older, I will come out and say it. Yes I am gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment