Friday, September 30, 2011

Hard News Story: Campus Creek Crime


The residents of Campus Creek live in the constant fear of being burglarized. To date, four out of the six buildings have had their apartments broken into. Mostly the first floor residents of each building have been robbed, but recently the second floor residents have become victims. This is the first year that sophomore sorority girls have had to live off campus. The girls of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Chi Omega, and Tri Delta have all moved into Campus Creek.

Caroline Brown, a Chi Omega, moved into her first floor apartment unaware of the safety problems. “I assumed since it was a gated community I would be safe,” shared Caroline. Chi Omegas have lived at Campus Creek each year because they have a contract with Campus Creek. “ My friends lived in Campus Creek last year and they pretty much told me what to expect. They never told me anything about having security issues however.”

All the other tenants in Caroline’s building have had their doors kicked in and items stolen. Caroline is now more scared then ever. Caroline stated that, “The buildings are mostly girls and I feel like many are taking advantage of that.” The increased female population in Campus Creek has definitely hurt the sense of security. The gates of Campus Creek have failed to keep out the unwanted visitors, and some of the gates are even broken. Many people have started sleeping with items to protect themselves. Caroline Brown is no exception to this. “I sleep with a baseball bat near my bed now. I am always anxious when I go to sleep that someone may come in my window or door.”

Campus Creek does have alarm systems installed in each apartment, but they are nonfunctional. Many repairs had to be made to the buildings and rooms from last year. Many sinks, fans, and air conditioning units were in dire need of repair. The repair staff had a small window to fix all of the problems. The repair staff did not have time to get around to every problem, and the alarm systems went unrepaired.

Campus Creek refused to talk in depth about the robberies. They did however share that, “The residents signed their lease agreements which stated that they are in fact responsible for their own safety. We understand that many utilities have been malfunctioning and we are working on fixing them in order of importance.” They refused to comment on the status of alarm system or gate repairs. They also had no comment on whether new security measures were going to be made.

When Caroline learned of Campus Creeks’ stand on the matter, she was shocked. “I understand that Campus Creek had many things to fix in a short amount of time, but I would have rather had my ceiling fan not work rather than my alarm system.”

No comments:

Post a Comment